Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Anonymous



Rarely have I seen such a chilling video as this. At least not since Giuliani attempted to make the nation collectively shit its pants with this stunning advertisement. Now I understand the fear of the tin foil wearers.

What terrifies me isn't so much the errie masses of Guy Fawkes masks lining the streets of Los Angeles, nor is it the fact that I sympathize greatly with the way the Scientologists conduct their business. It's the amorphousness of the organization that really grinds me the wrong way.

You see, I'm a patriotic American who values the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in their entirety. That's why I demand that my thoughts, values, and opinions be constantly dictated to me by a third party. I have a full load of college classes and a job to take care of, so I can't always be bothered to come up with reasonable, fact-based approaches to social issues and government policy. I try my best to think outside the box when I can, but at the end of the day unless a pundit agrees with me I'm pretty much lost.

I can't understand how an organization comprised of thousands upon thousands of people can organize a worldwide protest on multiple continents, much less have it all go down on the exact same day. There are no chapter leaders, nobody to officially demonize on the cable news show. How are we supposed to counter these people and their arguments? With facts to be presented on a level playing field, man-to-man? I'm no good at that!

At least with the Code Pinks and ANSWER's of the world, there are leaders to target, demonize, harass, and eventually arrest, and crazy people to laugh at. Police in Atlanta were completely baffled when they had no power structure they could effectively dismantle. The LAPD even resorted to being nice for a change. Just watching the video makes me ill:




More information on the Anonymous protests, as well as upcoming events, can be found at a number of different locations. Anonymous seems to be everywhere, so a simple Google search should get you what you want.

More information and commentary may come later in the day. In the mean time, enjoy the comments section. I have to go close my curtains and buy a dog.

No comments: